Holiday Season on the HCG Diet by Toni Scott
The holidays bring lots of celebrations that put emphasis on seasonal dishes and traditional favorite foods, usually the most calorie-dense, fat and carb-laden treats imaginable. It’s tough to curb your eating habits during this time of year when you’re not on a diet plan, and it can be exceptionally difficult when you are on a reduced carb diet or Phase 3 (P3) of the HCG Diet.
Phase 3 is a critical part of the HCG diet because during Phase 3, the hypothalamus is reset, helping you to preserve the weight loss you have achieved in Phase 2. This phase is referred to as the stabilization phase. The rules seem simple, for 21 days right after the last day of Phase 2 you can eat anything you want except sugar and starch. Avoiding sugar and starch during the holidays can be anything but simple.This is a challenging time and your resolve will be tested. It is going to appear like everyone around you is gorging themselves on unlimited amounts of holiday treats and you may find yourself feel deprived and feeling sorry for yourself. My advice is to embrace the spirit of the season and follow these pointers to help you to stay on track:
1. Eat before going. On the day of the big party, be sure to have a good high-protein breakfast, so you will not be starved by the time lunch or dinner is served.
2. Be prepared. Offer to bring a dish to the celebration. Make your favorite P3 HCG diet recipe and bring it with you. If you happen to be hosting the celebration, you can make as many P3-friendly dishes as you like.
3. Be cautious with the alcohol. Choose straight liquors such as scotch, rye, vodka, gin, or my favorite, tequila. Be certain the mixer is sugarless. Seltzer and diet soda are okay mixers. A couple of glasses of wine can also be fine, as long at it’s just a couple.
4. Be choosy. Remember, you don’t have to eat everything at the party. Choose your protein first, and then skip those choices that don’t make the holidays special for you. In my case, cranberry sauce and eggnog are essential. I could care less about stuffing, dressing, or dessert. I make a delicious sugar free version of those two items, and fill up on the turkey or ham and green vegetables on the menu.
5. Set aside leftovers immediately. You know what they say, out of sight, out of mind.
6. This goes without saying, drink tons of water.
7. And last, don’t worry too much about what you’ve eaten during one particular day. If you are truly sticking 90 percent to the no sugar, no starch rule, you will be fine. And if you overindulge a little and end up with a gain the next day, no leftovers for you, you must do a steak day to get back on track. Gotta love Phase 3 of the HCG diet!
Article Byline: By Toni G Scott.